Home | Posts RSS | Comments RSS | Login

Hi Mr. Cadaver =]

Thursday, August 12, 2010
"Gosh we're late!!" Folding our umbrellas, me and Lynn rushed into our anatomy dissection hall.
"Are we gonna dissect anything today?"
"Let's hope not. Haha."
Just as we stepped in the hall, as weird smell nearly chocked me to cough, i saw a human-shaped object lying on the dissection table. Beneath a long wide blue cloth. I finally realize it was Mr.Cadaver.
For a moment I just stood there by the entrance of the dissection hall. With my stomach churning inside.

*Churn* *churn* *churn* 

I tried to overcome the funny feeling in my tummy and sat beside Mr.Cadaver. "Gosh! The smell!" i murmured. My Indian classmates were acting like they cant smell anything. As if they got flu.

"I find cadavers fascinating!!" One of my classmate told me, while her hands touching and stroking the cadaver's feet. "Relax! They were human like us," she tried to comfort me when she saw my face. My worried + tensed face. Worried that I might throw up my breakfast, although I was already hungry.


I know what you wanna say. "What?! U got hungry in the dissection hall?" Yea I was. In fact everybody was hungry. Shin Juey and Shawn even said that Mr.Cadaver smells like chicken ham. Excuse me? CHICKEN HAM??

Okay it gross because he smells like food, but you couldn't eat him. For a while I felt like throwing up. But I prayed. And brought myself to look at him.
And I saw his feet. Just like mine.
I saw his arms. Just like mine.
I saw his face. Been destroyed from continuous dissecting, but still, human face.
Just like mine.

I suddenly grew respect for him. God created him, just like us. He was a living soul, just like us. He could eat, laugh and talk, just like us. He was a living being. He was alive! And now he was lying there being dissect and cut up into pieces. Being examined and studied. He served as a model for us to study about ourselves. About God's wonderful creation.

God is complicated. He created such complicated beings like us. In his image. All the nerves and vessels and skin layers, can drive me crazy. Sorry God, my humble mind is not able to understand the complicated structures you have made. But by your grace God, by your grace, I can do it. I know I can.

Mr.Cadaver, aapse mil khar bahoot kutshi hui! (nice to meet you, in Hindi) I'm sorry that I was freaked out when I saw you. For you were a human just like me. But you are more respectful compared to me. What am I compared to you? You donated your earthly body for people to cut you up and study your internal structures! Not much people are willing to expose their inner-self to others. I respect and admire you, Mr.Cadaver. Till we meet again, I shall not puke when I see you. I promise.

1 Comments to Hi Mr. Cadaver =]:

Herein My Journey Begins... said...

That was quite an experience huh? Haha...the 1st day I was too...but then you jz gotta do the way ur lecturer do to Mr n Mrs Cadaver, n u'll certainly soon befriended. Haha...n bout the taste...I was once doin Anatomy lab and there was this brain in front of me, smell jz so tempting, n I hvnt got my breakfast...gosh,luckily I hold myself or it's leave a bitemark on the specimen. Lol. And indeed, it's jz so wonderful to realise such complicated & intricate yet so amazingly wonderful creation we are in the midst of the chaotic lump of intestine n stomach on that table...I was awed few times by such moments too. Haha...enjoy the course n it'll be very interesting. Good luck n you r doin great from your words...keep it up. =)
ps- sry for such long comment...jz cant resist to share such amazing piece of experience ;)